Thursday, July 29, 2010

4th Week I think...




Well, I think it's our fourth week we are wrapping up. We have one more week at the Ashram, then head south for beachtime and then fly home. It has been a wonderful experience.

Steve is in charge of the breakfast workers every morning and the line. They must have figured out he was once a captain in the Marines...not sure. They have now opened a coffee bar at the Ashram at breakfast. I am in java heaven. Had a cafe au lait today. Jolena eats French Toast every single morning. She never seems to tire of it. Oh, and now we have had hard boiled eggs, too, which she loves.

I've been going to yoga almost every day. There is a class for women at 4:30 pm daily. The teacher is a woman from the Netherlands who used to be a principal on the European opera circuit 20 yrs ago, so I feel she is a kindred spirit. It is Iyengar style - and reminds me of our teacher Mark Watson, at home. The class goes for 1 1/2 hrs. I had to take two days off from being so worn out from class. I also take Jo to the Ashram swimming pool almost every day.

Here are some pictures from the Ochira Temple in the village of Kyamakalum. I'm sure I spelled that wrong. The language here in Kerala is Mayalam, which I think is harder to pronounce even than Hindi. Anyhoo, there is a picture of a worshipper at the temple, and then one of me and Jo looking totally like Western tourists.

Finally we got mobile internet access for our p.c., and it's our last week. We are selling our time to a woman who just arrived from Canada when we leave. If we ever come again, at least we now know how everything works.

Oh, did I mention we have a gecko in our room? Even nice hotels have geckos in the room. Last night he was in the bathroom which kind of freaked me out a bit. They are good to have, because they keep the bugs and especially mosquitoes at bay, but I think some good bug spray would do the trick just as well. So, we are co-habitating with amphibians. I think he/she is an amphibian, but it's been a long time since biology class in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment