Friday, July 9, 2010

First Week

We had a great first week. Now that all of our sleep schedules are adjusted, everyone is happy! It's an 11 1/2 hour time difference from home in Nebraska. We have a fresh coconut every day from the locals. It costs 15 rupees, or about thirty-five cents. We drink the milk and eat the coconut meat. Very refreshing and full of nutrients. There are also two puppies owened by the people who have the coconut stand. Jolena loves to go see them every day.

The canteen at the ashram has crows and a Kite, which try to eat our food all the time. A kite is similar to an eagle. It swooped down and tried to steal Jolena's french toast. It prefers toast, breads, omelets, etc. Another funny thing that happend is we were walking down the street in the village and I of course had my big mouth open and accidentally swallowed a bug. Well at least I'm getting my B-12. Hmmm. So that's how these vegetarians manage!

Steve uploaded some videos. One is a view from the 16th floor of the dormitory. You can see the ocean, it's beautiful. However, we can't swim in it because it's rainy season (although we've hardly seen rain), but because of the tides and wind, it is very dangerous in the sea right now. But, still beautiful to watch. Steve gets up every morning at five a.m., does yoga and goes to sit on the beach. Even here he is an early riser, and JO and I sleep in.

I went to the school to see if I can volunteer. The principal was sick, so I go back on Monday to interview. All the kids wear uniforms. It is very rudimentary, but the teacher's lounge is typical. Just like at home, the teacher's hang out in the lounge on break, eat, and visit. There are about 1200 children in the school. It is K-12 school. They want all the students to learn English and technology, these are two important skills to help elevate them from poverty. I will most likely be teaching conversational English to the older students, but we will see. Maybe they will just have me clean the hallways!

I have met many musicians. Tonight we are invited to a Carnatic music clss for Westerners, taught by the music teacher from the school. She teaches at the school, and her husband teaches violin privately. I went to a music store, and bought a few instruments and books. I want to spend alot of money there, but I'm under my husband's eagle eye right now...have to wait until he's really relaxed and them hit him up with the amount! They have sarods (stringed instrument like a sitar), tablas, doumbeks, etc. Also, I met a European who wants to take voice lessons from me, but it's difficult coordinating schedules thus far.

The ashram we are staying at is very simple. We have to sweep our room every day. Showers are cold, but for the most part it is clean and pleasant. Jolena drew some pictures to decorate our door and the walls. We draw everyday, play Go Fish, and go look at the baby calf in the dairy. She loves that. There are some elephants, too, but we have not seen them yet. She did make a few friends today while going for a walk on the other side of the backwaters. Much more to explore!

5 comments:

  1. You can say the instruments are for me! :) I would gladly pay you for some! :) Sounds like you are having a great time...love the videos! Talk to you soon!
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so great! Thanks for the updates! Looking forward to hearing more!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve, Judi, and Jolena!

    Awesome videos, we will definitely be following your updates. Suz wants to see more of the Ashram and Sky wants more of Jolena. And she loves her. Sage and I are content. Oh, and Sky says "We are friends". Love you guys.

    Cheers, the Swangs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have enjoyed your postings....love the videos as it helps me see a bit of your wonderful adventure! Take care ~ Lynette Wieger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Amrutha and Deepa enjoy the pictures and the video. Deepa wonders why she is not there with Jolena? She keeps asking where is deepa daddy ! Also steve let us know when birds start living inside your beard .. lol .. have fun.

    ReplyDelete